Inmate Fatally Shot After Taking Delnor Hospital Employees Hostage

on May14

14 May 2017 | 6:05 am

A Kane County Jail inmate who took a hostage at Delnor Hospital in suburban Geneva was fatally shot during the hourslong incident Saturday, officials said.

Tywon Salters, 21, was pronounced dead at the hospital following the standoff, according to Kane County Sheriff’s Lieutenant Pat Gengler.

Authorities Respond to Hostage Situation at Delnor Hospital

[CHI] Authorities Respond to Hostage Situation at Delnor Hospital

Salters, of Chicago, had been a patient at Delnor since May 8, and was in custody on charges of possession of a stolen motor vehicle from the Elgin Police Department, Gengler said at a news conference.

Authorities said Salters was being treated at the hospital around 12:30 p.m. when he seized a correctional officer’s gun.

He then took a female hospital employee hostage, according to police.

While the hospital was placed on lockdown, Geneva city officials warned the public to “stay out of the area as police deal with this standoff.”

“Hostage negotiators and the SWAT team were called in and they began a active negotiation with him,” Gengler said after the situation was resolved.

But the negotiations did not go anywhere.

“The SWAT team made the decision to make entry into the room. One of the SWAT team operators did discharge his firearm, striking the inmate and killing him,” Gengler said.

The hostage, a nurse, was able to get out of the situation safely, officials said.

She remained at Delnor for medical evaluation Saturday, according to Gengler, who said she was with family and was “obviously extremely upset.”

The lockdown was lifted early Saturday evening, as the hospital began to take walk-in patients at 6 p.m., with ambulance drop-off scheduled to resume at 8 p.m. 

Multiple agencies, including the Geneva Police Department, the Kane County Sheriff’s office and SWAT teams, responded to the incident.

Hospital personnel and medics were ready with ambulances to transport anyone coming to the hospital who needed emergency attention during the lockdown, Geneva city officials said in a statement.

A patient was in the emergency room when an official came over the intercom and called out a code that meant an active shooter situation, she told NBC 5. She recognized the code as she is a nurse at a different hospital. 

She said a police officer took her and several other patients to a bathroom, where they hid inside the stalls for about 15 minutes.

They were then escorted to a conference room where they stayed for approximately 45 minutes before they were able to leave the hospital.

Further details on how the suspect was able to obtain the officer’s gun were not immediately available, authorities said.

The Illinois State Police is conducting the investigation, which remains ongoing.

Published at 2:41 PM CDT on May 13, 2017 | Updated 2 hours ago

Previous postPeoples calls for $300 million a year in gas-main spending for next two decades - Utilities News Next postChicago Water Commissioner Resigns Amid Email Probe: Reports

Chicago Financial Times

Copyright © 2021 Chicago Financial Times

Updates via RSS
or Email