14-Year-Old Boy Killed in Drive-by Shooting

on Aug6

6 August 2017 | 1:44 pm

A 14-year-old boy was killed in a drive-by shooting on Chicago’s Lower West Side early Sunday, according to police.

Damien Santoyo, of the 3600 block of West 81st Street in the city’s Ashburn neighborhood, was shot while sitting on the porch of a home in Pilsen, authorities said.

At around 2:35 a.m., Santoyo was sitting with two other juveniles on a porch in the 1700 block of South Newberry Avenue when a car drove by and someone inside yelled gang slogans and opened fire, according to police.

Santoyo sustained a fatal gunshot wound to the head, police said, and was pronounced dead on the scene at 2:50 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

His mother was at the scene of the shooting early Sunday, horrified and angry over her loss, screaming, “I was not ready for this” in a heartbreaking outburst.

Santoyo had just turned 14 this summer and graduated eighth grade earlier this year, according to his mother, who said she thought he was at home overnight.

No one is in custody in connection with the shooting as authorities continue to investigate.

Published 6 hours ago



Previous postAir Force signs contract for 2 presidential aircraft with Boeing Next post16 Arrested, 185 Hospitalized in First 3 Days of Lollapalooza


Chicago Financial Times


Copyright © 2020 Chicago Financial Times

Updates via RSS
or Email