Electrical Source Might Have Started 5-Alarm Blaze in Stamford

on Sep28

28 September 2017 | 2:10 pm

A massive 5-alarm fire that damaged three homes in Stamford on Monday was accidental, according to the Stamford Fire Department, and the cause could be some sort of electrical source.

The blaze broke out on in a room on the back porch of 50 Alden St. at 5:12 p.m. Tuesday.

The room had a bed, a floor cabinet with cooking condiments, an air conditioner, carpet, radiator heating and a microwave oven. Firefighters said they found an extension cord and a resident who was familiar with the living space said the extension cord was plugged into a power strip, which was being used to turn appliances and electronics on and off.

Firefighters said the room had a metal door, which collapsed under the weight of the upper floors of the porch collapsing, and the building is totally demolished.

The fire spread to a neighboring house at 46 Alden St., which has exposure damage.

The property at 46 Wright St. was also damaged, but residents were not displaced, according to the fire department.

Three civilians and four firefighters were taken to the Stamford Hospital Emergency Department to be checked. Of them, one civilian and two firefighters were admitted to be checked further.

Published at 9:09 AM CDT on Sep 28, 2017 | Updated at 9:10 AM CDT on Sep 28, 2017



Previous postEquifax lawsuit a no-lose political proposition for Emanuel Next postAbbott gets OK for 1st blood sugar monitor without finger pricks


Chicago Financial Times


Copyright © 2020 Chicago Financial Times

Updates via RSS
or Email